Points of Origin

“From the first place of liquid darkness, within the second place of air and light,
I set down the following record with its mixture of fact and truths and memories
of truths and its direction toward the Third Place,
where the starting point is myth.”

~Janet Frame, To The Is Land

~~~

*Janet Frame, novelist and poet, was born in Dunedin, New Zealand. She was one of five children born to a railway engineer and his wife. She spent her childhood in Oamaru.

Over her lifetime, she wrote eleven novels, four collections of short stories, a book of poetry, an edition of juvenile fiction, and three volumes of autobiography. Since her death, a twelfth novel, a second volume of poetry, and a handful of short stories have been released. Frame’s celebrity is informed by her dramatic personal history as well as her literary career.

1. Lovely picture, 🙂 Could say more but words are not coming. 😦

July 3, 2012 at 1:37 AM

• Thank you Loner — so appreciate your visit!! Hope all is well for you! Sending healing thoughts ~ RL

July 3, 2012 at 1:41 AM

2. Love the words that go so well with the photo…

July 3, 2012 at 1:39 AM

• Thank you bulldog! Yes ~ Have had this photo for many months, and was waiting to decide on the right words for it. Had a day that reflected these sentiments quite a bit so went for it. So glad you enjoyed!! Good Thoughts your way ~ RL

July 3, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Very striking image.

July 3, 2012 at 2:01 AM

• Thank you Victoria… shot this a while back and forgot about it. Was rather dramatic with the sun going down over the tracks so boldly. After my medical apt (reciting and writing up my entire history) today — I was in this kind of mood, so decided on post. Appreciate your feedback always 🙂

July 3, 2012 at 2:03 AM

4. Wow! This is magical……so lovely. You have such an eye for capturing the energy and spirit of a place. This is a big Wow in my book! (Not to be mistaken for the Wows in Shades of Grey….LOL!) Seriously, the angle of the tracks, and the position of the sun. Just fantastic. Your sea sister, Sam 🙂

July 3, 2012 at 2:32 AM

• Thanks so much Sam. Yes – was fairly dramatic scene I was witness to a few months back. So glad you liked the image so much…and found it magical. I was taken by it last night when I was going through photos I’d not posted yet. My medical appointment yesterday left me with more choices and doubts – and thus the quote I selected to pair…. Thanks for all your love sea sis!! ~ Robyn Lee

July 3, 2012 at 7:25 AM

• Oh – and may need to get that book – if you recommend? Let me know ~!!xo

July 3, 2012 at 12:04 PM

• Will do…hope to start it tonight…but many of my friends have enjoyed it…not a well written book (the first one) they say….but they don’t care. lol 😉

July 3, 2012 at 12:08 PM

• 😉

July 3, 2012 at 12:10 PM

• Ok – I got the book on audible…so it’s on my iphone now 🙂 Began it earlier (think Chapter 4) … so far feel like I’m listening to my 22 year old daughter and her best friend. Will see where it goes…seems to be all the rage! I have a hard time with focus due to the pain 😦 but this one may work~ Let me know if you are reading!! xo

July 4, 2012 at 12:22 AM

• want to start tonight!!! Hope to….he he 🙂 love your new gravatar photo!

July 4, 2012 at 1:09 AM

• Thanks Sam– I will keep reading till the good parts at least…moves quickly 🙂 so far I feel old since I’m almost 2x the age of all the characters!! hee hee.
      Playing with Gravitars…was getting bored… but these little boxes require almost a head shot… hard!

July 4, 2012 at 1:14 AM

• hehe….I’ll probably feel old too, then…oh, well. 🙂

July 4, 2012 at 1:17 AM

• 😉 Let me know what you think! xo

July 4, 2012 at 1:20 AM

5. Beautiful view… 😉

July 3, 2012 at 3:03 AM

• Thanks kindly ledrakenoir, appreciate so much 🙂 ~RL

July 3, 2012 at 7:27 AM

6. the telephone wires running adjacent to the train tracks …. connections, more and more i see and feel connections everywhere …. is everything on this planet connected in one way or another …. as time travels onwards, these thoughts seem to come into focus more clearly then ever before …. is this a derailing or an awakening of sorts …. better polish up my goggles and try to find out, thanks for sharing the absolutely stunning shot and fascinating quote along with the accompanying reactionary neuron burst once again Robyn ….:)

July 3, 2012 at 3:57 AM

• Thanks so much Jim, I did notice the wires as well yes – everything is very much connected it seems… Did feel the wires added to the mood of the shot, though normally do not like wires or technology in my images :). It’s an image I took a while back. As far as a “derailing” – believe my confusing/draining medical consult yesterday, at the university, felt a bit that way (unexpected diagnoses and proposed invasive treatment and more decisions with conflicting opinions). So, as I thought about where I’ve been with all this and where I’m headed…. seemed a bit surreal, and I’m sure why I gravitated to this particular photo and quote last night for my post ( you are so keenly insightful). Very glad you enjoyed the image Jim, and appreciate your thoughtfulness. Sending warm thoughts your way xo RL

July 3, 2012 at 7:42 AM

7. cool photo, Robyn:)

July 3, 2012 at 4:14 AM

• Thank you so much nightlake!! So glad you enjoyed ~ something different for me 🙂 Sending you warm thoughts today!! ~RL

July 3, 2012 at 7:45 AM

8. ~Lady Day

I love the foreground…how it looks like scales of a snake…I always think of tracks as snakes as the slither through the ancient scapes of the wild, cut right through, headed far away. Lovely!

July 3, 2012 at 9:58 AM

• Thank you Lady Day. Yes – I see the “scales” now and love your metaphor…. to be able to “cut right through” sounds like heaven to me…especially after going through mazes of obstacles yesterday at the medical center. Perfect comment ~ much appreciate my friend! 😉

July 3, 2012 at 11:10 AM

9. Great perspective and wise choice on removing the color…very striking image of something we’ve seen so many times…good work, Robyn!!!

July 3, 2012 at 11:42 AM

• Thanks Meryl… yes, this was done after one of my mediative walks through the refuge. After being on the nature trails, just really caught my attention to see this bold sunset over the tracks. I liked the color version as well, but you are right, once I desaturated it completely it took on a mystical/surreal character I could not pass up. Appreciate your encouragement on the photography aspects a bunch!! xo

July 3, 2012 at 12:09 PM

10. Great image. Frame’s words so powerful in combination. Thanks for sharing this Robyn Lee. You have a very insightful spirit. I enjoy following this blog a lot.

July 3, 2012 at 12:20 PM

• Thank you so much Bryan. Yes thought so too. As it turns out, I added a short bio below the post (on Janet Frame) and turns out she grew up daughter to a railway worker. I had not known that fact when I matched her quote to this photo. I’m glad you liked the pairing, and are enjoying the follow Bryan. Means a lot. ~ Sending good wishes to you today…. RL

July 3, 2012 at 1:47 PM

11. i gotta get my sunglasses for the sun..lol love it!

July 3, 2012 at 2:46 PM

• 🙂 LOL Buck…. Wasn’t to bright – but quite magnificent as it set !! Thank you so much ~

July 3, 2012 at 2:48 PM

12. Dramatic, almost black and white (or is it already), great shot!

July 3, 2012 at 2:47 PM

• Thank you so much Bob! It was converted to B&W and then boosted with those 2 tones a tiny bit more… 🙂 I’m so glad you enjoyed it ~ and so nice to hear from you ~ have a lovely day! ~RL

July 3, 2012 at 2:50 PM

13. Emptiness, light, then myth. How wonderfully your photographs capture the timeless story of light, emptiness, and origins. So beautiful, my friend. Your photography moves me so….

July 3, 2012 at 4:34 PM

• I’m so glad to hear this Angela… and happy you felt the connection between the image and the verse. Was a bit tricky … but after contemplating it for a while I knew they belonged together… and then learned the author was raised by a railway engineer dad!!

Yes – emptiness, light and then myth… and it can be anything we want from there… Have a wonderful weekend my friend 🙂 ~Much Love

July 3, 2012 at 9:47 PM

14. Robyn…this photo is amazing…from the perfect angle…to the small hills…wowowowow

July 3, 2012 at 5:59 PM

• Thank yoooouuuu David! So appreciate. This was the shot I mentioned to you a while back when you had posted tracks… took me a while to post… but so glad you liked it so much!!! 🙂

July 3, 2012 at 9:43 PM

15. You made a poem out of teaching me something. Thank you

July 3, 2012 at 9:15 PM

• So glad Resa!! I learned some here as well 🙂 Thank you tons!! ~RS

July 3, 2012 at 9:44 PM

16. Robyn dear friend, yesterday I could see at a glance this post, was a difficult day I write slowly and preferably in the morning today. “It’s a very beautiful picture” I like the railroad tracks take me back and join me as infinitely distant friends.
    Adiós Señora de la sonrisa…

July 4, 2012 at 8:57 AM

• Thank you dear Carlos, yes – the tracks can take us many places…many points or origin and destination. Metaphorically, we can visit as distant friends across countries… those are very beautiful sentiments Carlos… very much appreciate!! ~ And just had to look up sonrisa ~ gracias mi amigo ~ smiles come easily for me most often:) Best wishes your way today!! RL

July 4, 2012 at 11:35 AM

17. Beautiful photo, Robyn…love the tracks and the setting sun…and I love what we can only feel in places like that, but cannot see.

July 4, 2012 at 2:14 PM

• Such a lovely comment Scott. Yes – some places are so rich in “feeling” but not tangible. I’m so happy you enjoyed – different type of shot for me 🙂

July 4, 2012 at 11:25 PM

• It was different, Robyn…and you did it very well. I enjoyed it very much. 🙂

July 5, 2012 at 8:54 AM

• 😉 thanks Scott!

July 5, 2012 at 3:40 PM

• You’re very welcome.

July 5, 2012 at 3:58 PM

18. Wow – you must get a bit exhausted from all the comments – you are such a star! I have decided to access your blog my own way rather than rely on notifications (which aren’t working anyway). Very powerful post, Robyn. Love Julie

July 4, 2012 at 10:52 PM

• Yes – do love to get the comments, but sometimes hard to respond in detail, though I try. I do that sometimes … just click avitars and visit blogs rather than doing the strict follow thing. That way if you don’t have time, you won’t feel guilty!!! 🙂 For you right now, that may be the way to go…. just visit when it’s good for you. Never feel pressure here Julie – if anyone knows the deal it’s me. I may have to go the route you are soon too.
      Glad you liked the post… yes thought powerful too. I took her words and applied them to my 20 year saga…. I think I’m at point 3 now – and I’m in the realm of “myth”…. 😦 xxooo

July 4, 2012 at 11:34 PM

• Your last sentence made me cry – so wish there was something – some drug – that would work for you.

July 4, 2012 at 11:45 PM

• No crying allowed – at least not on my behalf!! This guy on Monday didn’t think I was a candidate for the Ketamine thing… was shocked as was sent to him by a big-wig who thought I definitely was..and this was just for confirmation. Instead he thinks I have nerve compression in 2 areas causing some of my issues, and wants to start blocking the nerves to see if I get an ah ha moment. That would lead to nerve decompression surgeries perhaps. So not in the mood – but this is no way to live. Deep breaths right? xo

July 4, 2012 at 11:52 PM

19. Oh I forgot to say how much I like Janet Frame’s work although her life was so hard.

July 4, 2012 at 10:54 PM

• I know… read about her whole history — unbelievable what she went through… and managed to publish the volume of work she did. Now want to read more of her. When I selected this quote I did not know a whole lot about her (remember I was a marketing major in college and then masters student in counseling)… but interesting that I paired this tracks with this quote and then learned her Dad was by a railroad worker!! Kind of spooked me 🙂 xxoo u ok Julie?

July 4, 2012 at 11:36 PM

• Yeah – I’m okay – I have nothing compared to what you deal with, Robyn!

July 4, 2012 at 11:47 PM

• oh gosh Julie…you have certainly got a lot on your big plate. Please hang in… and take care of you !! I know I say it all the time (broken record) but it’s the most important thing – trust me there… xxoo

July 4, 2012 at 11:54 PM