Ritual

“I Look For the Sacred in Everyday Living.”  ~ Robyn Lee

Please click blue link below to read my thoughts on ‘daily ritual’ :

Ritual « THROUGH THE HEALING LENS

1. dianne - "life as i see it" - "just because"

what a beautiful image, lovely quote.. 😉

March 5, 2012 at 6:14 PM

2. Thanks dianne. Appreciate 🙂

March 5, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Beautiful image Robyn.

Love what you call ‘Ritual’, but what I call doing everything Mindfully. I read of it often in my Buddhist books. The Buddhist monk Thich Nhat Hanh talks about it in his little book The Long Road Turns to Joy – A Guide to Walking Meditation. Walking just for the enjoyment of each step, each breath, the blue sky, and the sights and fragrances along the path. Thich Nhat Hanh has been a great inspiration to me – I have several of his books. The simple practice of being in the moment has helped him regain his own peace and serenity during difficult moments (as it says on the back cover).

When I’ve finished my walk and am starting to feel my back pain or right foot pain, I look at the leaves strewn on the ground in front of my feet, looking for interesting leaves to photograph. I concentrate on placing each foot slowly and mindfullly in front of the other foot. I don’t look at that last steep slope I have to walk to get home. It makes me even more tired at the thought of having to walk up it.

I just concentrate on my breathing, in/out, in/out. I concentrate on putting one foot in front of the other as if in slow motion. I walk Mindfully. I pretend sometimes that chocolate is slowly melting down my head and shoulders and my shoulders (which are often in pain) are floating around me.

Then……….as if by magic……..I am home, walking in the front door and free from pain. I have no memory of that last steep slope I walked. I no longer have such bad pain.

Never think about how far you’ve walked, or how far it is to get home. Think about where you are now, and what you are seeing now. Listen for the sound of each bird and try to distinguish which bird is calling to which. Smell that fresh, clean aroma and think about which bush it’s coming from.

Wonder about which great image you’ll capture in your camera today. Ezra Bayda, a Zen teacher, is also worth reading. His book ‘Being Zen-Bringing Meditation to Life’ was amazing. I had this unique experience when reading this book some years ago. I’d read a bit, put the bookmark in and go to work the next day. I’d come home troubled, stressed or in pain, worried about what to do and where my chronic health issues were heading and pick up Ezra’s book after dinner and read a bit more. More often than not, I would read the answer to dealing with that day’s problems.

It was truly magical. I try to greet each day with thoughts of what will I do, where will I go, what will I see. I keep my mind open to whatever comes.

Unfortunately in the last 3-4 days I have been so tired and become tense worrying and anxious again. I keep thinking of the negative.
    I’ve stopped living each day Mindfully.

I hope to stop this negative pattern and slow down and start living Mindfully again. I sometimes think the computer can draw us into it’s tangled web and we need to ignore it and go for a walk in the fresh air instead (to refresh our spirits and restore our energy).

Computers can be addictive. They take over and stop you emptying your mind and letting your body float free.

March 6, 2012 at 7:38 AM

4. Thanks Victoria. This was very beautifully written. I appreciate. And yes – I use the term “mindfulness” often too. I will definitely bookmark some of the authors and books you mention here. Have you read John Kabot Zen’s classic called ‘Wherever You Go, There You Are’?? He started a program in mindfulness meditation at a large teaching hospital used most often for pain management. I will need to pull it out again – it’s been ages. It sounds like you have this method down pat though! I’m working on it, but when the pain reaches a certain point – which has been last week or so, it becomes very challenging. I have not gotten to walk much at all – really miss it. I may try a bit this afternoon and will keep all your good insights in mind! I know you will get back on track ! Hang in — Sending Healing thoughts and ‘mindful’ well wishes your way!!! RL

March 6, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Love YOUR quote!!!

March 6, 2012 at 8:27 PM

6. Thanks Ivy! Yes – MY quote — did that one other time I think (Gaze). Fun to be a philosopher sometimes 🙂

March 6, 2012 at 8:31 PM

7. “I Look For the Sacred in Everyday Living.” – Then you have found it. Beauty is always sacred. Well said and shown. ~Dan

May 4, 2012 at 11:56 AM

• So happy to have you Dan. Thanks for all your kind words!!

May 4, 2012 at 12:33 PM