Solitude

“In solitude, where we are least alone.”

~ Lord Byron

1. I love the idea behind this quote and I also think the picture is fantastic.

I get really mixed up about solitude because I totally love it but at the same time it makes me feel lonely. Sometimes I crave solitude but then, when I get it, it turns out to be a bit grey. Oh well, Byron wasn’t always right – hehe!

You’ve got me thinking which is a good thing so many thanks – love your blog!

March 20, 2012 at 12:23 AM

2. I do know what you mean jm! I have come to love and truly need my solitude given my pain. At the same time, by nature I’m such a people- person, and love to spend time with others… and I miss that so much. I think the ideal is a healthy balance… but really learning to enjoy keeping company with oneself too. Yes – this blog has got me thinking too — LOL! Hope it’s a good thing. Thanks so much for your encouragement:) Means a lot!

March 20, 2012 at 12:32 AM

3. This is an awesome picture and quote. I savor my solitude–maybe a little too much–but I much prefer it to the hustle and bustle, not enough hours in the day type of existence. I can see where you would need the quiet time as you cope with your pain. I’m not as much of a people person as you seem to be, so I don’t miss the interaction with others as much as maybe you do. It’s hard to find the right balance sometimes, as you mentioned. But, again, I really liked this moment of repose in your post. It’s very restful.

March 20, 2012 at 10:57 AM

• Thanks so so much for your thoughtful comment Jeannie! I’m so glad you were able to identify. Something very special about liking the company you keep even when alone. I’m with you as far as the hustle and bustle/not enough hours in a day existence. Feel fortunate to live in a beautiful and peaceful community. Sending good wishes your way!

March 20, 2012 at 10:36 PM

4. merylspiegel

Hi Robyn, This one looks like a tapestry to me…drawn in pencil.
    And yes, alone time is the pathway to peace…

March 20, 2012 at 11:32 AM

5. Thanks Meryl. I also thought it had the effect of a pencil etching!
    ‘pathway to peace’ — love that:)

March 20, 2012 at 12:30 PM

I agree with Merylspiegel – it almost looks like a pencil etching.
    Lovely image and most appropriate for the quote.
    (I like my own company. I am often alone, but rarely lonely).

March 20, 2012 at 6:39 PM

7. Thanks Victoria… I’m glad you liked. Wonderful that you are good company for you too!

March 21, 2012 at 5:58 PM

8. Silhouetted birds always capture my attention. I always wonder what they are pondering and if they are enjoying their “me time”. Very nice shot, Robyn! Meditative and peaceful.

March 21, 2012 at 6:33 PM

• Thank you so much Susie. Me too…wonder if they are ” in the zone” lol…They seem to be!

March 21, 2012 at 9:26 PM

This quote really resonates for me — I seek out solitude even in crowds. I especially love the way the branches fill up most of the picture and appear to be etchhed into canvas. If Poe were alive, he would have chosen this image to be the cover of The Raven 😉

March 24, 2012 at 5:12 PM

10. Wow Ivy, such a lovely compliment. Thank you. Not sure Mr. Poe would go for it – but one never knows! 🙂 Yes – solitude is also something I treasure a great deal!

March 24, 2012 at 10:08 PM